Saturday, August 21, 2010

My Son, My Friend

As the father of a 20 year old college student, I think I have seen it all. Since November 17, 1989, I have successfully navigated my way as a father through 3am feedings, diaper rash, learning to ride a bike, first day of school, moving to a new town, bullies, first love, first heartbreak, drivers license, first accident, 2 proms, high school graduation, being drunk, nursing a hangover, first day of college, and being Vice-President of his fraternity. I don't think there is much I have missed. I have enjoyed every minute. Well, almost. His car accident and subsequent 24 hour stay in the hospital come to mind. He came into this world at a whopping 10 lbs 5oz. causing every nurse at Community Hospital to remark to each other about the huge baby that had just been born and wince in pain at the thought of it!  These days, He is 6' tall and I look up to him. I look up to him more than just physically. He has grown to be quite a responsible man. He is double majoring in Biology and Economics at IU and plans to go on to med school. He works and deftly handles all the responsibilities and challenges that go with his fraternity. Andrew has gone from the little boy who crawled up in my lap and asked me to read him a book or to watch Barney or Power Rangers, to reteaching me Algebra. Our time together now is limited to school breaks and the occasional weekend, but when we are together, it is a comfortable time of watching "The Big Bang Theory" and laughing at things that are probably only funny to us. The Ellington wit a little off-beat, but it works for us! He is my son and my friend. And I am his very proud Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment